Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Planning a Square Foot Garden - Step 2

The Daily Gardener
March 30, 2011

Did you make your list of what salad veggies you buy every week?  Don’t worry I made one so we can use it for now but go ahead and make the list and be as specific as you can be.  I have four people in my family and I want to grow salad stuff so that means I should plan to start with four beds, one bed for each person.  If I wanted to grow vegetables for my family then that would be another one bed per person so I am up to 8 beds measuring 4’-0 x 4’-0 to start my new Square Foot Garden.  And if I want to grow to freeze, can or dry produce for storage then that would mean another four beds.  I am up to 12 beds total.  This is a starting point.  But for now we are planning a Salad Garden.

My weekly grocery list goes like this:
3 heads of lettuce every week
Bag of radishes (about 10 in the bag)
A carrot  for every day
Garden Peas when I can get good ones or Sugar Snap Peas
Bunch of scallions (about 8)
Mixed baby greens or mesclun (about a half pound)
Spinach - lots and lots of spinach
Avacado (I guess maybe I will have to buy these!)
Tomato - two or three
Cucumber - three for the week

That is my list for salads.  Obviously things like olives, artichoke hearts, bacon bits and the avocado are off the garden list!  But still I would be very pleased to have this list to harvest every week.  The trick is to have some of each thing coming ready to harvest week after week.  The only way to get this steady harvest is succession planting.  Succession planting is to plant a little bit every week or every two weeks so you don’t have a 25 foot row of lettuce come ripe and ready to harvest all at once; what would you do with 50 heads of lettuce?  For instance with carrots I’ll plant 16 carrots, one square foot, every other week for the whole season until the end of September so I have that one carrot everyday I need for my salad.  If I planted all 12 squares of carrots at my first planting in April I would have too many carrots at one time.  Exactly the same thing applies to radishes, plant a square every week and you’ll have several radishes for your salad every day.

So make that list and be specific.  Next is my vegetable list for four people.

No comments:

Post a Comment